Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Short, still a little sweet

Above: The whole game, pretty much.

If you needed more evidence that I lack principles, I invite you to read my review of Wanted: Weapons of Fate at thephoenix.com. I believe I've said on at least one podcast that I don't care what a game costs, and this review clearly puts the lie to that claim. But come on: $60 for a 4-hour game? I would be ripshit if I had paid that much money for this.

It's always a little bit tricky to translate the review in the paper (x.x out of 10) to the review online (1-4 stars). The web version goes with 2 stars, which sounds about right. In the paper, I gave it a 5.5 out of 10. Go ahead and add half a point for every $10 this game drops in price. At $20, I'd give it a solid 7.5. That's a recommendation in my book.

2 comments:

Gary A. Lucero said...

Well, I paid $60 for Call of Duty 4 and that's a 5 - 6 hour game. I never played it online, and I didn't even think it was that great a game.

Was it a waste of money? No, I was able to experience it, and it gave me a good week's worth of fun. As a tourist of non-RPGs, I think it was pretty worth it.

I won't be buying Wanted, but that doesn't mean it's not a good game. Even if a game is short, it may be worth buying, especially if you sell your games when you're done with them, which is what I do.

Julian said...

Sounds like classic rental fodder to me. Definitely not something I need clogging up space on my media shelf, but not something I want to miss either.

Also, I'd like to note that there are much worse problems to have than leaving your players wanting more.